Thursday, December 2, 2010

Oo-oooo-eeee! Garlic shrimp with ginger and mango



Well - I really wanted shrimp after watching Rocco DiSpirito talk about Italian-style garlic shrimp from Shiller's Liquor Bar in NYC (shrimp sauteed in olive oil with garlic, red pepper flakes, and lemon juice) interspersed with Long John Silver's ads for Panko-breaded Pacific Shrimp (fried, of course). Funny - when I think of Schiller, I think of Mary Stuart or The Maid of Orleans, not booze. ;-) I had limes on my tree, but not a lemon in the house, so what to do? I sauteed very thick slices (1/8") of fresh garlic in ~ 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil until sizzling gently. Then I added a little chopped ginger for the lemony-ness. Then I added the shrimp (12 small with tails on) and cooked until nearly pink. Then I added a pinch of kosher salt and about 1/2 teaspoon of mango powder that I got recently along with a number of other fabulous fresh spices from the Savory Spice Shop online. I hadn't used it before, so I was slightly over-cautious. I continued to cook and just before serving, ground fresh black pepper over all. I served with jasmine rice. Wow. Amaaaaaaaaazing. I could have doubled the mango powder with no harm, but there was just enough tang. I'm having Carr's Ginger Lemon Creme cookies with coffee to celebrate this post!