Monday, July 19, 2010

Mer's Plantains Foster

Mer's Plantains Foster

I had yellow plantains too ripe for patacones. I had learned from Mrs. Silvera that I could make dessert with them. I also had Bananas Foster Häagen-Dazs in the freezer. Guess what?

I went through 'Cooking up a Storm' to find a good Bananas Foster recipe, found one originally published by NOPSI (New Orleans Public Service, Inc.) and modified it, taking into account that yellow plantains have a malic acid tang (I would recommend skipping the lemon juice unless using bananas).
Cooking Up a Storm: Recipes Lost and Found from The Times-Picayune of New Orleans

Peel yellow plantains and slice in half, then lengthwise into 4-5 thin slices. sauté the plantain slices in salted butter with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar, plus large dashes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Deglaze or flame with 2 tablespoons of brown rum (I used Ron Abuelo 12-year-old rum) plus 2 tablespoons of vanilla. The sauce and the plantains should be caramelized.

Serve the plantains and the rum sauce over vanilla ice-cream. (The plantains Foster plus Bananas Foster ice-cream was *too* much, but I think there's still some of that left in the freezer!)